Join the growing number of certified communication professionals! IABC Philadelphia is proud to support the Global Communication Certification Council (GCCC) certification program by offering communication professionals, from mid-to- senior levels, an opportunity to demonstrate knowledge and expertise.
Why get certified?
Certification brings global recognition, demonstrates knowledge and expertise, enhances your career and shows your commitment to strategy, ethics and your ability to solve problems and drive business results through strategic communication.
The Global Communication Certification Council® (GCCC®) certification program is based on the Global Standard of the Communications Profession – set out by IABC–and are internationally accredited by the ANSI National Accreditation Board (ANAB).
Two levels of certification are now available:
- Communication Management Professional (CMP)® is aimed for generalist, specialist and other business communicators established in their careers and looking to demonstrate their competence.
- Strategic Communication Management Professional (SCMP)® is geared toward highly skilled business communicators practiced in providing strategic communication advice and counsel to an organization’s leadership.
Both the CMP® and SCMP® certifications were developed to conform to ISO (17024).
Steps to becoming certified
The certification is open to IABC members and non-members. On the GCCC site:
- Review the requirements
- Download the latest candidate handbook
- Submit your application and pay the fee
When your application has been approved, you’re ready to take the exam (see upcoming exam dates and locations).
Remote promoting now available
Write the CMP or SCMP exam at the time and location that works for you with the new remote proctoring options. Learn about this new way to get certified on the GCCC website.
Maintain your certification
Once you’re certified, you must maintain your certification through continuing professional development and an annual fee. Re-certification is obtained by ongoing professional development. IABC Philadelphia is pleased to offer many opportunities throughout the year that count towards certification credits.
- The IABC Handbook of Organizational Communication: A Guide to Internal Communication, Public Relations, Marketing, and Leadership, 2nd Edition: Gillis:
- Candidate Handbook
- IABC Guide for Practical Business Communication: A Global Standard Primer
- IABC Code of Ethics
- Job Task Analysis for SCMP (Job Task Analysis for CMP)
- Catalyst magazine and online content center
- IABC Awards – criteria – How to Guide for IABC Awards
- Participate in webinars – IABC Academy, organization in-services, open course
- Read white papers on tasks and knowledge covered by Job Task Analysis
- Listen to IABC Circle of Fellows podcast
How can IABC Philadelphia support you?
From making a business case for your certification to arranging a study group, we want to know what you need to complete your certification journey. Please get in touch with us to help us learn more about what stage you are at and where we can help.
- How to get your employer to pay for your certification
Want to know more?
Check out the Frequently asked questions about the certification exams. To learn more about the exams and how to prepare for them, visit GCCCouncil.org to read the current Candidate Handbook, or get in touch [email protected].