Stroud Water Research, based in Avondale, PA, is recruiting for a new Director of Marketing.
Position Description This newly created position represents a unique opportunity to shape the brand, messaging and marketing strategy of a highly respected and impactful nonprofit organization influencing the future of fresh water. The Director of Marketing is responsible for strategic planning, development and direct implementation of the Stroud Center’s marketing and digital engagement, grassroots fundraising, communications, and public relations. A member of the leadership team, the director will be involved in organization-wide strategic and operational planning, and serve as a key translator and motivator for all stakeholders, internal and external. As part of a small but mighty team of passionate, dedicated and purpose-driven professionals, the Director of Marketing will play an instrumental role in catalyzing local, national and international awareness and support for the Stroud Center - expanding its impact and ensuring smart, sustainable solutions for fresh water preservation around the world.
Strategy and Management (15%)
- Develops and executes an overarching marketing and communications strategy to help drive attainment of the Stroud Center’s revenue and awareness objectives.
- Sets goals and objectives; establishes an evaluation system to track progress; reports results.
- Ensures that the appropriate systems, staff resources and procedures are in place to effectively support marketing and communications.
- Develops an annual marketing and communications budget; monitors progress and ensures adherence.
- Serve as a key member of the Stroud Center’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee.
- Leads the Board of Director’s Communications Committee.
- Supervises the Communications Manager and Editor.
Brand and Communications (25%)
- Oversees and implements branding and messaging across the organization.
- Develops compelling and segmented messaging across diverse donor audiences.
- Maintains an organizational brand, style and messaging guide.
- Working closely with leads across departments, develops and implements communications strategies and effective messaging for organizational and project-specific goals.
- Assists program staff in ensuring our communications are accessible, effective and reach diverse audiences.
- Leads the internal communications committee and serves as a central communications resource.
Marketing Content and Digital Engagement (50%)
- Develops and leads the execution of a strategic marketing plan and content calendar to drive donations and engagement. This includes management of all related tactics and channels, including social media, email marketing, and direct mail marketing.
- Creates and executes integrated fundraising campaigns and promotions to meet revenue and engagement goals, including growing a diverse grassroots funding base.
- Provides marketing support around fundraising and community engagement events.
- Inspires, engages and broadens the Stroud Center community of supporters and advocates.
- Oversees the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print and electronic collateral. For example, newsletters, annual reports, and presentations.
- Defines the strategy and leads the management of the Stroud Center website; ensures the main website as well as related websites supports the brand positioning and compels actions.
- Develops look, feel and content of websites, with input from key internal stakeholder and working closely with the Web Developer.
Media Relations and Thought Leadership (10%)
- Oversees media relations for the Stroud Center and serves as a primary point of contact for inquiries. Conducts targeted, proactive media outreach.
- Helps develop a long-term strategy and annual plan to establish the Stroud Center as a thought leader among influential audiences and shape the global agenda on fresh water and related impacts (i.e. climate change, sustainable agriculture, etc.) via conferences, speaking engagements, media, and publications.
- Helps build a network of engaged influencers to catalyze awareness across diverse segments (media, celebrity, sector leaders, etc.).
- Represents the Stroud Center externally through engagements and collaborative initiatives. Note: Time percentage allocations are approximate and subject to change as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- Understands and appreciates the value of nature and importance of generating and disseminating new knowledge to help conserve it for future generations.
- Bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree (preferred) related to marketing, communications, fundraising, or nonprofit, business or public administration.
- At least 8 years of experience in marketing/communications/development positions.
- Professional or educational background that includes environmental science, education, or a related field is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated track record of success in setting and meeting marketing strategies and goals, and driving donor engagement and giving.
- Deep knowledge of current and evolving trends in nonprofit marketing and fundraising.
- Superb marketing acumen and communication skills.
- Ability to distill complex technical information into relatable and compelling messages.
- Passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Motivated and self-directed. Able to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff, funders and Board members.
- Strong computer and software skills; prior experience with Raiser’s Edge and Adobe Design Suite preferred.
- Familiarity with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development goals and the social change sector.
- Is willing to travel, as needed.
Salary and Benefits Pay will be commensurate with qualifications/experience. Benefits include generous employer contributions towards medical and dental plans, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, unemployment insurance, workers’ compensation, defined benefit pension plan (vested after five years) and paid vacation, holiday and sick leave. Application Process The preferred starting date is by March 2022. Application review will begin November 30, 2021 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, please visit the Stroud Center employment page (https://www.stroudcenter.org/jobs), click through to the job posting, and use the application form to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact details for three professional references as a SINGLE ATTACHMENT. The name of the attached file should start with the applicant’s last name in the file name (e.g., LASTNAME_RESUME.PDF). No phone calls please.
About Stroud Water Research Center Water is life; without it, we cannot exist. Protecting freshwater ecosystems and ensuring sustainable, equitable access to clean water underpins progress towards society’s most important goals. Understanding the science of water is fundamental to our ability to protect this finite and vital resource. For more than 50 years, Stroud™ Water Research Center has focused on one thing: fresh water. A 501c(3) non-profit, non-advocacy environmental organization, our mission is to advance knowledge and stewardship of freshwater systems. We achieve this through global scientific research, education, and watershed restoration. Our work is helping organizations and individuals make informed decisions affecting water quality and availability around the world.