Subaru of America is looking for a Corporate Communications Specialist
Responsible for developing and implementing communications to internal and external stakeholders, with the purpose of building Subaru of America’s reputation and driving company initiatives and corporate priorities through effective communications. Maintains and optimizes media relations (non-automotive), as well as CEO/executive, crisis, and other external communications for the company, including partnering with Marketing, Corporate Responsibility, and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEIB) to help develop and implement communications strategies to drive awareness and gain positive media coverage.
Must have exceptional writing skills* and be an organized, diligent professional who is comfortable interfacing with executives and overseeing competing priorities. Must be a team player who is excited to advance and execute effective and impactful communications initiatives to support our brand and organization.
*Writing samples will be requested of those invited to interview for this position
- Supports planning and implementing the organization's overall communication strategy including public relations strategies, policies, governance, and procedures to ensure a professional, consistent voice to all stakeholders, including news media, employees, retailers, partners, industry forums, customers, and local communities.
- Leads the creation of a variety of engaging written communications and visual content (i.e., press releases, executive letters, speeches, video scripts, presentations) ensuring quality, accuracy, and effective storytelling that aligns with corporate messaging.
- Works closely with the President & CEO to write a monthly newsletter distributed to over 600 Subaru retailers in the U.S. Builds a strong relationship and understanding of CEO’s style, voice, and preferences.
- Delivers writing, ideas, and strategic media relations plans to support and promote public appearances, press conferences, major announcements, and other events.
- Provides strategic communications counsel and guidance to leadership, serving as a key media contact, writer, strategic and creative thinker, and communications expert.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with teams in Marketing, Sales, Human Resources, Corporate Responsibility, Legal, DEIB, Government Relations, etc. to recommend communications strategies to engage target audiences.
- Delivers executional excellence across all PR tactics, including but not limited to regional and national media relations, event planning and activation, community relations, content development, message development, speaking engagements, and other outreach.
- Pitches Subaru news to regional and national media, arranges interviews, and secures opportunities to increase visibility in trade, national, and broadcast media.
- Helps to guide crisis communications, including developing preparedness plans for challenging issues, reputation, and crisis situations, as well as providing support on crisis simulations.
- Supervises the performance and effectiveness of external agencies and vendors, as well as oversees departmental tools and channels including the Subaru media website, wire distribution services, media contact database, media monitoring, and reporting for executive leadership.
- Proofreads and copyedits content written by others to ensure it meets established guidelines and is consistent with our communications strategy and objectives, including communications prepared for the President & CEO by others, as appropriate.
- Conducts research and develops and maintains corporate messaging and communication materials that help position Subaru positively and guide our business and brand narrative, as well as promote one consistent voice in messaging.
- Tracks and measures earned media outcomes using analytic tools and reports results to stakeholders.
- Conducts internal media training, ensuring executives and subject matter experts are aligned on messaging and prepared for press opportunities, events, and speaking engagements.
- Identifies and provides recommendations for new content opportunities, as well as ways to repurpose or amplify content across mediums.
- Serves as an internal journalist by building relationships throughout the company to identify news-worthy stories to share with media.
- Maintains and updates the crisis communication plans and manuals, reactive media statements, talking points, FAQs, and other deliverables as needed.
- Contributes to the development of strategies around, and preparation of, successful award submissions through publications, industry rankings, and awards organizations.
- As needed, assists the department with publicity efforts for new products, breaking news, crisis communications, special events, and campaigns.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with the ability to switch styles across different platforms. Must be able to distill information down to clear, simple talking points.
- Proven track record of media and public relations success across a variety of industries, as well as the ability to organize and plan PR strategies together with the tactics needed to achieve objectives.
- Solid understanding of the news cycle, media landscape, social media platforms, and emerging trends.
- Established critical thinking skills to help determine and guide the communication strategies to support initiatives and projects.
- Ability to lead, plan, implement, and evaluate program activities to completion.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills to make sound decisions, escalating as appropriate.
- Exceptional project management skills with the ability to effectively handle multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment while working across teams.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and follow through on all projects. Must have a sense of urgency and be able to work well under pressure.
- Proven ability to build and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, partners, and vendors to achieve strategic goals and objectives.
- Possess a high level of personal integrity, and the ability to professionally handle confidential matters and exude the appropriate level of judgment and maturity.
- Strong attention to detail and quality control including the ability to monitor and manage deliverables for members of executive leadership.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, as well as familiarity with the latest digital communication trends, measurement tools, internal/external communications channels, and best practices.
- A team player with an enthusiastic, outgoing personality.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ progressive experience in public relations or at PR/communications agency, with a significant portion of that time spent executing media relations.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Content creation, graphic design, and photo editing skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or English.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Eligible for hybrid work arrangement (two days remote) after 90-day period with successfully meeting and maintaining remote work criteria.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: BA/BS with 4 to 6 years of relevant experience
JOB GRADE: P2
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SALARY RANGE: The recruiting base salary range for this full-time position is 65,800-$94,000. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
To apply, go to: https://hcal.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX/job/1251/apply/email